Papworth Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
- Engineering design services
- WINNER 'RIBA East Award 2021'
Troup Bywaters + Anders (TB+A) maintain their reputation of excellence in the healthcare sector by successfully reaching Financial Close for the landmark new Papworth Hospital. Following the highly sought after and competitive bidding stages, TB+A – as part of the Skanska team – has been chosen as the Trust’s preferred solution.
The combination of state of the art treatment facilities and a unique model of care will put the new Papworth Hospital at the top of their field.
The project relocates the world famous Papworth Hospital to the expanding Cambridge Biomedical Campus, creating a new 310 single bed inpatient specialist heart and lung hospital with major outpatient’s facilities and a hot floor of CCU, 7 theatres, hybrid suites, 5 catheterisation labs and imaging.
The building envelope and engineering system design, combine to deliver energy efficient solutions which exceed the Trust’s energy target and greatly exceed the Trust’s and Local Authorities carbon and renewable energy targets.
The hospital is the first to achieve an EPC ‘B’ energy rating which is a fantastic achievement for a specialist hospital.
The design of the New Papworth Hospital incorporates a number of lessons learnt from our other major specialist healthcare projects, such as St Bartholomew’s, including:
- Highly resilient electrical infrastructure all the way to point of use
- Integrating the latest medical equipment technology whilst allowing for a late procurement solution
- Flexibility for change of use by good design and future space allocation for additional plant
- Efficient energy centre location and planning
- Interstitial plant to minimise vertical services risers
- Multi energy source solution to maximise reliability whilst delivering on green credentials such as primary heating and cooling to the building provided via a thermal storage ground source heat pump system with a bio-diesel CHP
Troup Bywaters + Anders maintain their reputation of excellence in the healthcare sector by successfully reaching Financial Close for the landmark new Papworth Hospital. Following the highly sought after...
In 2014 Barnet and Chase Farm Hospital became part of the Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trust. One of the first commitments is to redevelop Chase Farm Hospital, making it...
East & North Hertfordshire NHS Trust was formed in 2000 and covers four sites including Lister Hospital, Stevenage. Following a strategic review of health services in Hertfordshire, the Trust decided...