Papworth Hospital PFI
Troup Bywaters + Anders maintain their reputation of excellence in the healthcare sector by successfully reaching Financial Close for the landmark new Papworth Hospital. Following the highly sought after and competitive bidding stages, TB+A - as part of the Skanska team – has been chosen as the Trust’s preferred solution.
The combination of state of the art treatment facilities and a unique model of care will put the new Papworth Hospital at the top of their field.
The project relocates the world famous Papworth Hospital to the expanding Cambridge Biomedical Campus, creating a new 310 single bed inpatient specialist heart and lung hospital with major outpatient’s facilities and a hot floor of CCU, 7 theatres, hybrid suites, 5 catheterisation labs and imaging.
The building envelope and engineering system design, combine to deliver energy efficient solutions which exceed the Trust’s energy target and greatly exceed the Trust’s and Local Authorities carbon and renewable energy targets.
The hospital is the first to achieve an EPC ‘B’ energy rating which is a fantastic achievement for a specialist hospital.
The design of the New Papworth Hospital incorporates a number of lessons learnt from our other major specialist healthcare projects, such as St Bartholomew’s, including:
- Highly resilient electrical infrastructure all the way to point of use
- Integrating the latest medical equipment technology whilst allowing for a late procurement solution
- Flexibility for change of use by good design and future space allocation for additional plant
- Efficient energy centre location and planning
- Interstitial plant to minimise vertical services risers
- Multi energy source solution to maximise reliability whilst delivering on green credentials such as primary heating and cooling to the building provided via a thermal storage ground source heat pump system with a bio-diesel CHP
As the images and the hospital demonstrates this is a truly remarkable building with low carbon engineering solutions delivering exceptional low energy and carbon performance.
Photo courtesy of HOK Associates< Back to Projects...
Papworth Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
Engineering services design
We've chosen to work with TB&A on several complex healthcare projects because they are experts in healthcare design with the breadth and depth of experience needed to understand and deal with the complex issues that arise in a demanding clinical environment. Their capacity to seek new and innovative solutions is unrivalled and they have worked very successfully with our in-house economists to develop optimal energy solutions.
Project Director, Skanska Infrastructure Development